In the part 1 I explained how to compile a new kernel, and here’s the explanation how to upload the newly compiled kernel to your device.
- make sure you really have arch/arm/boot/zImage file (about 2MB in case of HTC Desire/Eclair) present after your kernel compilation was over.
- download AnyKernel template by koush and unpack it somewhere
- copy your zImage file to the template /kernel directory, there supposed to be another zImage file there — just replace it
- go back to the template directory, you will see three subdirectories: META-INF, kernel & system
- zip them all (zip -r ../update.zip *)
- sign the update.zip and flash it to your device
- scripts included in the template will unpack your current boot.img, keep ramdisk, but replace the kermel
Big thanks to Bartosz Ponurkiewicz, who gave me nice advices and warned about common problems on the way!