I’ve read about nice utility to extract rom.zip from RUU update and could not believe someone really have spent time to write a program, which might be easily obsoleted with new version of installshield.
Here’s a quick and dirty, but very reliable approach which does not care about installshield version and relies only on expected file name (rom.zip)
- install wine
- open terminal and change directory to .wine (cd ~/.wine)
- in the terminal type (but don’t press <enter> just yet) : cp `find -name rom.zip` ~/
- run RUU update file in another window and change back to the terminal
- as soon as the progress bar reaches about 70-80%, press <enter> in the terminal
- enjoy rom.zip in your home directory (but don’t forget to check zip integrity and checksums just in case)
Worked for me as a charm and did not require any 3rd-party software.